- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Infrastructure
- Post Date: 08/03/2022
- Website: spire.com
- Company Address: 8000 Towers Crescent Dr, Suite 1100, Vienna, Virginia 22182, US
About Spire GlobalSpire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multipurpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the world’s largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its own space data APIs, we enable software developers to deploy and operate their constellation and software application with Spire’s trusted global infrastructure, giving people a fast-track to scale their business in space. Spire Maritime monitors $17.1 trillion of global trade, Spire Aviation provides aircraft tracking data to the $2 trillion aviation industry, and our weather data is used by public agencies providing weather predictions to protect lives and prevent the loss of property for almost a billion people.
We are hiring everything from fresh graduates to highly experienced software professionals in the US (where the company started), Glasgow (where we build our spaceships), Sweden (where we have a big data competency center), Luxembourg (where many of our business leads are located).
Software at Spire
Software is critical to everything we do, be it the firmware that runs our software defined radios, the schedule optimization systems that route data through our network of satellites and ground stations, or data big data analytics pipelines that transform observations into easily actionable information.
Our software applications run on a platform that uses Concourse for CI, ArgoCD for deployment, Kubernetes for Compute, Vault for secrets and Prometheus for metrics. We build software applications using the technologies we deem to be most fit for purpose, Rust for high performance optimization systems, C/C++/Rust for embedded, Go and Java and Flink and Kafka for big data, Python for glue code, and so forth.
Being vertically integrated means there is something to challenge anyone no matter your area of interest: cloud infrastructure, multi-tenancy security for our space program, FPGA code doing signal processing, firmware running on microcontrollers, weather forecasting software running on specialized supercomputing hardware, or web services providing the world’s most accurate picture of of a range of phenomena that shape decision making.
Spire’s software organization believes in the value of
- Thinking and leveraging expertise internally before coding by creating Technical Proposals and crowdsourcing input on them
- Using DevSecOps to achieve high speed and efficient iterations
- Giving people room to take initiative and propose creative solutions
- Managing your own time rather than having someone tell you what to do
- Working in a way that enables people to be equally effective whether they’re in the same room or on the same continent
- Having an ownership mentality when it comes to uptime and cloud costs – avoid incidents, when they happen respond effectively, and run our systems without wasting money
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in compiled and interpreted languages
- Growth mindset without dogmatic attachment to specific languages or technologies
- Excellent communications skills
- Alignment with our core values: global, reliable, unbounded, faster, relentless, collaborative
- Desire to operate autonomously
- Desire to achieve mastery in your domain
- Comfortable with iterating and re-evaluating projects and plans as needs evolve
Nice to haves
- Working knowledge of cloud and infrastructure-as-code tooling such as Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault, ArgoCD, Ansible, Chef
- Strong relational and non-relational database skills
- We could write a very long list of what would be beneficial at Spire but in short any other skills are also nice to have. You can never have too many skills. Especially when you work at a company that is solving problems across a broad and deep range of engineering disciplines.
- Experience delivering projects on time and on quality
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.